The 6 steps for waterproof SPLA reporting
At the same time, all hosters and service providers are fighting on two fronts: On the one hand, falling margins characterize the business, on the other hand invoices to customers and manufacturers must be accurate and timely to the minute. Manually created reports are not only time-consuming, they also increase the risk of incomplete and incorrect data. How hosters automate their SPLA reporting in six steps and secure their license compliance with a certified solution will be explained in this article.
The complexity of Microsoft SPLA reporting rises the challenge for service providers in license management. These can only be mastered with automated processes. Simultaneously, hosters have to be on the safe side: Their SPLA reporting has to be correct and complete in order to be protected against expensive back payments.
To ensure this, the independent auditing company KPMG has established the “KPMG SPLA SAM Tool Assessment for Microsoft SPLA Program” audit certificate. As part of this certification, KPMG examines not only the existence but also the correct functionality of the six essential building blocks for Software Asset Management in relation to Microsoft’s SPLA program. This includes:
- Detection of the entire technical inventory: Agentless, complete inventory of the entire IT infrastructure, consisting of the software and hardware of all clients. In addition to the entire Microsoft product range, other applications from manufacturers such as Oracle, IBM, VMware or Linux as well as virtual components can be detected reliably at the same time.
- Creation of the complete inventory: Assignment of order, purchases or maintenance documents to assets, departments or persons.
- Comprehensive Microsoft Software Catalog: Alignment of all inventoried applications, operating systems and databases against the Microsoft portfolio. Ideally, the comparison for the products of other manufacturers can also be performed directly via an extended software catalog.
- Detection of relevant parameters for license metrics and license calculation: Automated detection of all current license metrics and correct calculation of license requirements.
- Assignment of licenses to assets and users: Exact billing of licenses according to the pay-per-use procedure, both with the software manufacturers and the customers.
- As a result of comprehensive inventory, the Microsoft SPLA Report can be accurately and easily generated for submission to Microsoft or the Licensing Solution Partner (LSP, formerly LAR), as well as reports for other software vendors.
Fon: +49 (0) 341 392960 25
04277 Leipzig, Deutschland
Campaignery – Petra Spitzfaden
Simone Sulzmann / Petra Spitzfaden
Fon +49 (0) 89 61469093
81543 München, Deutschland